The Lowry is named after Laurence Stephen Lowry (1887 – 1976) – an artist who spent much of his life in Salford and whose work is strongly associated with the city.
Salford Museum & Art Gallery had been a long-standing collector of his work and some 400 individual works – as well as an extensive archive of photographs, press cuttings and exhibition catalogues – were transferred to The Lowry on its opening in April 2000.
Today, The Lowry provides critical and curatorial analysis of his work and seeks to raise his profile as an artist of international stature.
Lowry Scenes: Then & New
Take a look at how the locations shown in some of Lowry’s most famous work of Greater Manchester look today.