The Lowry Creative Writing Challenge is open to all Greater Manchester children in Key Stage 1 and will open to entries on Friday 9 September and run until Friday 4th November 22
Pupils can draw on all aspects of writing for performance. For example:
Poetry including spoken word, limericks & rap.
Story including fiction & short stories.
Stage Text including solo or group performance, plays for stage & radio.
How to Enter
Please email a digital copy of your Poetry, Story or Stage Text to email@example.com
In the subject header please write- FAO The Lowry Creative Writing Challenge
Include the following information in your email:
- Name and age of child
- Title of work
- Address of child
- Name of teacher, parent, carer, or guardian sending the work
- Name of school or if home educated
- Contact telephone number
- Contact email address
Alternatively, you can post your entries to ‘The Creative Writing Challenge’, The Lowry, Pier 8, Salford Quays, M50 3AZ. Please enclose a note with the information required as above.
Deadline for submissions – 12 Noon Friday 4 November 2022
Rules of Entry
- All Key Stage 2 children aged 8 – 11 from Greater Manchester (living or learning in the GM Region) are eligible to take part
- We advise that entries have a 500-word limit or 3-minute script limit.
- Only one entry per child, per category (Categories are 1. Poetry 2. Story or 3. Stage Text)
- If the entry is from a school, Teachers are welcome to submit an entry from more than one child in their class
- You will only be notified if your child is shortlisted
- The Lowry will be unable to return or keep submissions so please keep your own copy on entering
- By entering, you agree for the entry to be used in any associated publicity by The Lowry
- The shortlisted children agree to attend The Lowry on 7 December for a celebration event where their work will be presented on stage either by themselves or on their behalf
A celebration prize giving event will be held on Wednesday 7 December in The Lowry’s Quays Theatre, with winning entries being performed on stage either by the children who wrote them, or by someone else on their behalf
You could win:
- A chance to perform on The Lowry Quays Theatre Stage on 7 December 2022
- Feedback from professionals on shortlisted works
- Up to £50 of book tokens
- A professional illustration of your creative writing for you to keep
- Tickets to a show at The Lowry for the winners and their families or friends
Meet The Judges
The competition has been made possible thanks to the generous support of Beryl Jones, who along with her husband Trevor is a Gold Patron of The Lowry.
Mike Leyland – National Literacy Trust
‘We are delighted to partner with the Lowry on the Creative Writing Challenge. We know from our own research that writing helps children to express themselves with 1 in 2 children saying they write to be creative. We hope this exciting competition will inspire children across Salford with their writing and reading, supporting them to develop the literacy skills they need to succeed in life.’