Saturday 12 November 2022
Call-out for artists to share new work!
Deadline for applications: Friday 19 August at 5pm
The Lowry’s Scratch Nights are back and following our very successful scratch night collaboration with the Horizons Collective back in February, we are pleased to announce another exciting collaboration with our visual arts team at The Lowry.
We are now inviting performance, visual and media artists whose work has a live element to take over our gallery spaces, and share exciting new work and ideas as part of our Scratch Night on Saturday 12 November 2022.
Scratch Night Callout
Scratch Nights are an opportunity to test a new idea with a live, supportive audience and see what sticks. This galleries collaboration is for performance, visual, and media artists who are interested in sharing brand new or in progress live works in our gallery spaces.
We are interested to hear from artists at any stage of their career who might define their practice as live art, contemporary performance (including but not limited to dance, movement / physical theatre, theatre, musical theatre, music, ground-based circus, spoken word, drag), durational or time-based work, digital work, installation-based work, multi-media, film, sound, pop-up performance and interventions.
Four artists will be selected to share new work, and we are able to support performances of up to 20mins for a ticketed audience and longer durational work for a drop-in audience.
This is an open callout for artists based anywhere in the UK, and we strongly encourage artists based in Greater Manchester and the North West to apply.
How to Apply
Download the Application Form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring in a Word document. This can be used to draft answers to the questions before applying online, or for audio or video applications.
Selected Artists Will Receive:
- A fee of £1000 to develop and present the work at our scratch night
- Rehearsal space at The Lowry where possible
- Producer support and mentoring from Lowry staff
- A set of production images taken by a professional photographer
Scratch Night Guidelines
- The work should be performative or/and include some live element, and either be performed within a 20mins timeframe for a ticketed audience or as part of a longer durational piece for a drop-in audience across the course of the day. Please note we are not looking for applications from artists who solely identify as writers.
- The work must be in development / a work in progress, with minimal technical requirements.
- The work must be suitable for our gallery spaces and details of these are below.
- This opportunity is for artists at any stage of their career.
- Deadline for applications: Friday 19 August, 5pm
- All artists will be notified by: Friday 9 September 2022
- Scratch Night date: Saturday 12 November 2022, Lowry Galleries
The Lowry is committed to encouraging diversity and intersectionality in the arts and we actively encourage proposals from artists from under-represented communities, including people who experience racism, identify as working class, have disabilities, are from the LGBTQ+ community, are care experienced or are discriminated against.
We encourage you to apply for this opportunity no matter what your age, caring responsibilities, disability, gender, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
If you have any queries, please get in touch with us at email@example.com We can answer queries about the application process and Scratch Night programme, but cannot read draft applications in advance.