The Lowry is a registered charity (no.1053962) committed to using visual and performing arts to enrich people’s lives. We present a diverse programme across our Theatre spaces and Galleries as well as engaging with local communities and young people through our life-changing Learning & Engagement work. Other services we provide include our Pier Eight restaurant and bar, coffee shop, gift shop, conference and event facilities and ticketing services.
Situated in the heart of MediaCityUK, Salford Quays our ambition is to lead the region’s creative and cultural quarter and to celebrate the unique heritage of this location and to put communities and people at the heart of all we do.
The Lowry recognises that we have an environmental and social responsibility to becoming more environmentally sustainable, and that this can also benefit us financially and operationally.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact across all areas of the business, with the ambition of becoming a leading example for the industry. Led by EAST (the Environmental and Sustainability Team) we will deliver a strategy to achieve significant sustainable improvements and new working practices that will reduce our environmental impact and enable us to measure and report on our progress. We will work with external partners and frameworks to achieve and measure our progress, such as the Groundwork’s Sustainable Business Initiative.
We will embed sustainability into all areas of our organisation, empowering our staff and volunteers to become ambassadors for sustainability through a culture of shared responsibility. We will communicate our ambitions, actions and achievements to our peers, audiences, communities and stakeholders and actively support regional and industry initiatives such as Greater Manchester’s 5-Year Environment Plan.
In order to reduce the environmental impacts of The Lowry and deliver a programme of continuous improvements, we are committed to the below key objectives.
These objectives will be delivered through the corresponding Environmental Action Plan which should be read alongside the policy.
- Comply with relevant environmental legislation and approved best practices as a baseline for our action plan, to be reviewed quarterly.
- Review the ‘Environmental Policy’ and ‘Environmental Action Plan’ annually to identify new strategies and opportunities to improve our environmental performance.
- Produce an energy and utilities reduction strategy by March 2020 to measure our consumption and promote energy and water saving by all Lowry staff, volunteers and visitors. Targets will be set to achieve specific reductions, as identified in the ‘Environmental Action Plan’.
- Complete an analysis of all consumables purchased by The Lowry by March 2020, assessing their environmental footprint and recyclability.
- Following the consumables analysis, implement a strategy with the aim of decreasing the amount of waste disposal by 20% by March 2020, using the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle approach.
- Create a ‘Lowry Environmental Standards’ code of practice for all visiting companies, suppliers and contractors by March 2020 to encourage environmental best practice.
- Implement a sustainable procurement policy for all consumables and assets by March 2020.
- Develop a sustainable transport strategy for staff, volunteers, visiting companies and other third parties by March 2020.
- Create an internal and external communications strategy by March 2020 to embed environmental sustainability as a core part of The Lowry’s working culture, and to communicate our achievements and ambitions to the public and to our stakeholders and peers.
- Develop Programming and Engagement strategies by March 2022 to address and contribute to greater environmental awareness among our audiences, local community and across the sector.