How to Apply
This September, artist development at The Lowry is going back to school, as we launch the second year of our Class Of programme, a year-long scheme aimed at providing a deeper understanding of the performing arts – industry, production and general survival – for a select group of artists and producers.
Over the course of the year, Class Of 2020 members will be taken on a dedicated learning path designed to dig deeper into their understanding of their practice, going beyond introductory workshops to look at topics such as:
- How to think like a social entrepreneur
- Tour booking and negotiating deals
- Building your online brand on social media
- Making accessible and inclusive work
- Improving and maintaining your mental wellbeing
- Looking after yourself and keeping the creatives you are working safe
As well as committing to monthly training sessions, the Class Of cohort will benefit from additional offers such as Class Trips to go see and discuss interesting new work, scratch opportunities and mentoring support from the Artist Development team at The Lowry. Class Of is also a fantastic opportunity to join a close-knit peer support group who can benefit from each other’s’ experience, develop new working partnerships and gain insight into people at a similar stage in their careers who work across different platforms and disciplines.
Please note that this is not an introductory level course. Applicants must:
- have at least two years’ experience of developing your practice outside of education/training
- work within a performing arts discipline
- have a basic understanding of the performing arts industry
- be willing to commit to attending one evening training session per month (*dates outlined below)*Monthly training session dates:
- Taking place every last Wednesday of the month, 6.30pm-8.30pm.
- Wed 25 September 2019,
- Wed 6 November 2019 (not last Wednesday of the month)
- Wed 27 November 2019
- Wed 29 January 2020
- Wed 26 February 2020
- Wed 25 March 2020
- Wed 22 April 2020 (not last Wednesday of the month)
- Wed 27 May 2020
- Wed 24 June 2020
- Wed 29 July 2020
- Wed 26 August 2020
Who we are looking for
Artists or producers who want to:
- deepen their understanding of how the Arts Industry works and their place within it
- become a proactive and committed part of a small peer support network
- find space for self-reflection
- develop tangible skills to be applied in their working practice
We want to reach the broadest diversity of creatives and particularly encourage applications from creatives of colour/BAME heritage and creatives living with a disability.
We are committed to ensuring this opportunity is accessible to anyone who meets our eligibility criteria. Please speak to us about any barriers that might prevent you from applying.
The application deadline is 5pm, Tue 10 September 2019.
To apply for this opportunity please complete the application form and equal opportunities monitoring form by clicking on the links below.
We understand that not everyone is comfortable expressing themselves through the written form. If you would like to submit your application as a video or audio file or in any other format, please answer the questions in the order it is listed in the application form and email it to us or if you require it in any other format please email us.